With warmer temperatures finally here, it’s time to get near a pool, lake or ocean to enjoy some outdoor fun. Although donning a swimsuit can be a source of stress for some women, it doesn’t have to be. Whether you’re swimming, boating or simply catching rays, here are some tips to implement immediately on how to get bikini-ready for summer:
A healthy looking body is a product of a nutritious diet that follows these recommendations:
- Eat mostly vegetables, fruits, lean meats or beans/legumes, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Include high-fiber choices to reduce bloating.
- Minimize consumption of sweets, fried foods, high-fat items like cheese and processed foods.
- Control portions to cut calories. Try to eat less, and if you’re still hungry, drink water and snack on fresh fruit and veggies. At restaurants, eat only half of your meal and take the rest home for another meal.
- Don’t skip meals. Keep your hunger in check and your blood sugar stable by eating regularly throughout the day so that you feel good and are inclined to make smart choices.
- Drink more. Dehydration can lead to overeating. Choose water more than soda, coffee, or liquor to eliminate calories and maximize hydration.
Exercise is key to burning calories and shaping up to rock a bikini. Include both cardio and strength work for best results, at least 3-6 times per week, ideally for 30-60 minutes per session.
- For cardio, lots of options exist, including running, cycling, stairclimbing, rowing, jumping rope, elliptical training, swimming and dance aerobics. Doing a variety of activities, rather than just one type of cardio, is recommended for better results.
- Interval training, where you incorporate high intensity intervals with recovery periods, is a very effective, efficient way to burn calories both during and after your workout. Do it 1-2 times per week.
- Group exercise classes, such as bootcamps or kickboxing, add motivation and intensity, as long as you ensure that you keep up and work hard.
- On Octane Fitness ellipticals, take advantage of CROSS CiRCUIT, which combines cardio with strength training exercises using Octane’s Powerbands, dumbbells, body weight and more. You get a 2-for-1 workout that hits the entire body!
- Strength train 2-4 times weekly, performing exercises against resistance that work the major muscle groups to fatigue, which is typically 2-3 sets of 8-15 repetitions. Choose effective multi-tasking exercises, such as squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, rows, pulldowns, crunches and more.
- For more toning, add yoga and Pilates, and stretches to increase strength, balance and flexibility.
Other Important Considerations
Diet and exercise are most important to getting bikini-body ready, but try these suggestions as well:
- Posture – Work at standing up straight, drawing the shoulder blades back, pulling the navel to the spine and tucking the tailbone under; good posture instantly makes you look slimmer.
- Swimsuit – Choose the right suit that flatters your figure and draws attention to your assets. Don’t settle for something that doesn’t fit right, and be prepared to shop around if necessary. If you’re tugging on the bottoms or readjusting the top in the fitting room, you’ll be doing that all the time on the beach.
- Cover-up – Find a cute cover-up that takes you to and from the pool in style and compliments your shape and swimsuit.
- Skin prep – Exfoliate and remove hair from the legs, armpits and bikini line to look and feel your best.
Acceptance – Do your best to look and feel good, and focus on your health and what your body can do, rather than compare yourself to others and wallow in self-criticism.